Monday, December 3, 2007

the holidays

I know the holidays are hard for all of us. Why not post your thoughts on the subject to help other members out? How do you handle the holidays? Have you found other things to make them more bearable? Please click 'Comments' below to post.

I'm not sure I have found a surefire way of making the holidays less painful. But I think that I have just found other things to focus on to make the holidays enjoyable. I have created my own traditions to replace the recurring ones that no longer exist since losing my mom. It gives me a sense of continuity that seems to be missing. My favorite thing every year is to put the last Christmas card my mother gave me in my tree. It says "Julie, Merry Xmas, Love Mom". Makes me feel like I get a Christmas card from my mom each year. Makes me smile.

1 comment:

  1. Julie, I love the tradition of the card. Embracing your mother's death and keeping her alive in this fashion is fantastic. I always felt like my own mothers death was a stigma. Mostly because all my friends still have there mothers. I really do not do much for the holidays, but as I look around my house there is not even a photograph of my mother. You have inspired me. I am going to hang one. She can still be a part of my life even if she is dead.

    ReplyDelete